About the game
Nottingham is a vibrant city located in the heart of England, known for its rich history, lively culture, and diverse population. It is also famous for being the legendary home of Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men.
You’ll explore the historic sites associated with the folklore, including Nottingham Castle and the sandstone caves beneath the city.
By searching for clues across the city, you’ll discover hidden treasure you never knew existed!
What you’ll do
You’ll be led around the city by Captain Bess, a snarky pirate who’s testing out new recruits to join her ship!
Bess will send a series of maps, clues and directions. You follow the map and solve the clue by searching your
surroundings. When you get the right answer, you’ll move on to the next place.
Don’t worry, if you get stuck you can ask for a hint and Bess’ll get you on your way!
What you’ll see
Along the way you’ll see lots of sights and Bess will tell you some fun facts about some of them. It’s a perfect way
of discovering things you might want to come back to.
- Market Square - a bustling public space located in the heart of the city, overlooked by the magnificent Council House
- The Exchange - an elegant Victorian-era shopping arcade that's filled with upscale boutiques and specialty shops offering luxury goods and bespoke services.
- Fothergill's buildings - you'll find these striking Art Nouveau-style structures all over the city, designed by architect William Fothergill in the early 20th century.
- Nottingham Playhouse - a renowned theatre in the heart of Nottingham, with the impressive sky mirror sculpture sitting outside.
- St Barnabas Cathedral - a stunning example of Gothic Revival architecture, with intricate stonework and breathtaking stained glass windows.
- The Park Estate - a stunning and exclusive residential area, home to elegant Georgian and Victorian homes, tranquil gardens, and tree-lined streets.
- Nottingham Castle - a historic fortress and museum in Nottingham, famous for its connections to Robin Hood and as a site of key events in English history.
- The Caves - a mysterious and fascinating underground network of sandstone caves, tunnels, and cellars dating back to the medieval period.
- Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem - one of England's oldest pubs, with a rich history, quirky décor, and a reputation for serving great beer.
- National Justice Museum - an interactive and engaging museum that explores the history and importance of justice and the law.
- Lace Market - now a trendy and vibrant neighborhood full of stylish bars and indie-shops, it's known for its historic lace-making heritage.
What else you should know
- Take your time—it’s more enjoyable to see everything at your own pace. There's a scheduled
break around half-way, but you can take your own breaks if you prefer.
- Aim to finish before sunset—it's near impossible to find clues in the dark! Check
the sunset time
- You can play in 2 parts—if it suits your plans, you can pause the game and come back after lunch
or even the next day.
- Bess will be scoring you! Your score is the number of clues you got right first time, without a
hint. The score is only for your satisfaction, so don’t struggle needlessly!
How the game works
The game works a bit like a WhatsApp group, but on a web page instead. You don’t need to download anything and it
doesn’t need any permissions.
Before you’re due to start, we’ll send you a link to the game. Open the link to join the game and share it with your
team so they can join too.
Once you’re ready, Captain Bess will tell you what to do next.
What to bring
- Smartphones with mobile data and full batteries. (It’s OK to share, but it works better if everyone has their own
- Shoes for walking 2½ miles.
- Waterproofs in case of bad weather.
- Wit, cunning and an adventurous spirit!
We've designed the game to be step-free around the whole route. The recommended
pubs at half-way and at the end of the game have step-free front access and an
We are currently looking for wheelchair users to play-test the game
before we call it "wheelchair friendly".
If you'd like to test the game, please get in touch!